Wondering about adaptions for disabled people?

We may be able to obtain grant funding to make an adjustment to your home to make it easier for you to move around. To benefit from any adaptations, an occupational therapist and a housing association officer will visit you. They will check your circumstances and see what changes you need. In some cases, we will apply for funding so we can do the work needed. This funding is called a Physical Adaptation Grant (PAG)

Examples of adaptations we have carried out include:

  • bathroom adaptations: include replacing a bath with a shower and all other works
  • lifts: includes providing stair lifts or through floor lifts
  • hoists: includes fixed hoists and other works to help tenants and their carers to move around their home
  • kitchen adaptations: includes height adjusting units
  • access aids: includes ramps, alterations to driveways or paths, handrails and grab rails
  • other adaptations: includes carports, door restrictors, door opening system

If you would like to find out more, please email NeighbourhoodTeam@Cadwyn.co.uk or phone 029 2049 8898.

For more information contact Independent Living Services on ​029 20 234 234

Difficulty Getting Around Your Home?

  • If you, or a member of your family, are having difficulty getting around your home, we can request an assessment by an Occupational Therapist.
  • The difficulty could be due to a physical disability, sensory impairment or old age. The therapist will assess if equipment and adaptations could make it easier for you to live independently.

Cadwyn Can Apply for a Physical Adaptations Grant for Your Home

  • You may be eligible for a Physical Adaptations Grant if you have a physical disability.
  • Cadwyn can apply for a grant that will help towards the cost of adapting your home so that you are as independent as possible.
  • If you would like to find out more, please contact the Neighbourhood Team on 029 2049 8898 or email NeighbourhoodTeam@Cadwyn.co.uk

Do You Need Help Moving Your Bins?

  • If you find it hard to put your bins out for collection, Cadwyn can help you apply to Cardiff Council to use their Assisted Waste Scheme.
  • Refuse collectors will know they have permission to move your bins from your home if they are not on the kerbside.

Care and Repair

  • Care and Repair is a national charity which helps older homeowners and private tenants to repair, adapt and maintain their homes.  We can refer you to them and they will visit you at home to discuss what repairs or adaptations you need, the possible solutions, the likely costs and sources of funding.
  • For more information contact 0300 111 333 or Cardiff 029 2010 7580

Blue Badge Scheme

The Blue Badge scheme provides a national arrangement of parking concessions for people with severe mobility difficulties. Helping blue badge holders’ to park more easily and to help remove some of the barriers that otherwise impact on daily life.

The scheme also applies to registered blind people and people with very severe upper limb disabilities who regularly drive a vehicle but cannot turn a steering wheel by hand.

A car displaying a Blue Badge is allowed to park closer to shops and public buildings, for example in Disabled Parking Bays or on double yellow lines.

To be eligible for a blue badge you must meet one of the below criteria:

  • Children and adults who are in receipt of the high-rate mobility component of the Disability Living Allowance
  • Those in receipt of Personal Independence Payments (mobility component)
  • People registered as blind under the National Assurance Act, 1948
  • People in receipt of the War Pensions Mobility Supplement
  • People who have a permanent disability or illness that makes walking very difficult may also be given a badge after an assessment by a Social Worker or Occupational Therapist, or on evidence provided by their doctor (GP)

Here’s a video of Mrs Pugh who has benefited from this scheme by having automatic doors installed in her home: